Saturday, April 5, 2008

Easter 2008

I guess posting late is better than not at all! Our Easter this year was....varied. Is that the right word? You decide...here's the story.

It all started off the day before...by the family taking a trip to urgent care. When Ethan's eyes became extremely red and oozey, we decided it was worth the time and money. And, McKay had had a runny nose for weeks that wouldn't go away. Outcome? Ethan had a severe double ear infection and McKay was diagnosed with allergies only. So, we headed home after picking up Ethan's medication.

The next day was Easter Sunday, and I was in charge of the entire Easter program (by my request). About four years ago, I had put together a nice program with narration and songs by the ward choir, soloists, family and YW choirs and a cello solo. I asked our bishop in this ward if he was open to the idea and he said he loved it! So, as the Ward Choir Director, I had the ward choir prepare three songs (Beautiful Savior, He is Risen and Behold the Wounds in Jesus' Hands) and asked the Primary to sing "This Is My Beloved Son", the Young Women to sing "Jesus Was No Ordinary Man", two families sang "I Stand All Amazed", I sang "Day of Tears" from "Women at the Well" by Kenneth Cope, and we had a talented married couple play a cello/violin duet of "I Know That My Redeemer Lives". Shawn was the narrator with his rich, beautiful voice that was just perfect. I guess it might have looked like the "Householder Easter Program"....I worried plenty about that. But I prayed that the congregation would feel the spirit and have their testimonies of Jesus Christ increase and enjoy the program.

Well, I debated the night before about whether or not the boys should go to church...but what were my options? Both Shawn and I had to be there. His parents were coming to hear the program, but I didn't know how they would feel about taking care of some sick boys. Not to mention the way Ethan looked, anyone could think, "What on earth is he doing here looking like THAT!?" Well, we just took them anyway with a prayer that it would all work out..which it did (I took them home after the meeting.)

The program went very well, the choir sounded great and everyone that participated did so well. If I could do that as a career (envision and create church programs around specific themes) I would LOVE it! I love music and the power that it has to touch the soul and testify of the gospel!!!

Well, long story short, we had Uncle Dean and Aunt Stacy over for Easter dinner later that night. And, although I had planned on having an Easter egg hunt for the boys the day before, it just didn't happen for various reasons. So, Aunt Stacy and Uncle Dean hid the eggs for us and the boys had a great time on their hunt! (Shawn was inside making mashed potatoes for dinner.) :) (Here's a video and some pics.)











Well, by the time we were done with dinner, McKay was pulling and tapping his ear and whining a bit about it hurting...a visit to the doctor the next day revealed an ear infection for him as well. The same day (Monday) Shawn came home feeling awful and ended up staying home for three days, going back to work on Friday, and coming home feeling even worse. A visit to urgent care for him the next day revealed an ear and sinus infection for him! First time he has had an antibiotic since he was in high school! He never gets that sick. He stayed home four days this week as well. NOT usual for him at all!

Well, I guess it was inevitable that I would come down with something. Thankfully, Heavenly Father helped us stay healthy until AFTER the Easter program. But shortly thereafter, I started feeling totally energyless and little by little it got worse until I got a pretty bad head cold/cough. Thank goodness I don't think it is anything more than that right now. But it has brought me to my knees and slowed my normal pace of living drastically. That is really hard for someone like me who is constantly going. Growing a baby obviously takes a lot out of you, but add that to illness and you get just a lump of plump flesh that just needs to rest all the time!

I guess I wrote a bit more than just about Easter day. But it all kind of went together. Today we enjoyed the rare opportunity of participating in a Solemn Assembly of the church when we sustain our new prophet and First Presidency. The boys lasted about 15 minutes. I'm hoping it made some kind of impression/memory on them...at least Ethan.

Well, it's only 8:00 p.m. but I'm bushed and ready for bed. So, that's some of the latest...I could write a lot more, but it is more of a deeper personal nature...I'll save that for my personal journal. When I'm dead, you are welcome to read it! :)

2 comments:

Mandy Masters said...

I am glad that your Easter program was a success. I am sure the members of your ward felt the spiritual message you prepared of the Savior Jesus Christ.
We also enjoyed conference and the amazing experience of participating in such a historical assembly. All the talks were exactly what I needed and had prayed to recieve through personal inspiration. I actually took the time to prepare to hear the messages this year and it made it all the more special for me.
Makayla and I sure enjoyed having Ethan and McKay here last week. I hope that it relieved you and that they had a fun time.
Love ya!
Mandy

Stacy Householder said...

Spending Easter with your family was a BLAST! I love your family. :) Hiding the Easter Eggs for the kids was really fun and entertaining!! hahaa! :) Thanks for having me over.
Love you!