Saturday, April 26, 2008

Spring Saturday Fun & Surprises!

Every April, Shawn's company sponsors a 5K for JA (Junior Achievement) Run/Walk event in Tempe near Tempe Town Lake. This year it was held on the grounds of the new Tempe Arts Center. Somehow I managed to pull my pregnant and exhausted body out of bed at 6:00 a.m. and we arrived by 7:30 to register, get our shirts and get ready to walk! Getting me there was a miracle alone, so I chose to walk the race in my mind. :) Uncle Kelly was there volunteering so I had someone to talk to!

Shawn pushed McKay in the stroller and Ethan (this was his 4th race that he has attended) walked the entire race this year! Way to go Ethan! (It ended up being 3.5 miles instead of 3.1) Although they came in just about last, it was a great victory!

After the race, we feasted on BBQ beef sandwiches, baked beans and potato chips (at 10:00 a.m. in the morning! Nice breakfast!) Just about the time we were getting ready to round up the kids from the bounce house they had there, a Tempe City Fire Dept. ladder truck arrived on the scene to do their Saturday equipment check and practice. Ethan has been begging me to take him to see a ladder truck for months! When we were at the Mesa City Fire Station downtown a while ago, we were just about to leave when the ladder truck pulled into the garage, drove through the garage, and left again! Bummer! But what we got to witness today was FAAAAAAAARRRRRR better than we would have ever seen at a fire station! And we were the only spectators there to enjoy it - a personal demonstration for the Householder family! It was so exciting - for Ethan and McKay AND for me too since I know how much he LOVES fire trucks and he really knows his stuff too! (He had to correct mommy and daddy that it wasn't a fire hat, but a "helmet". C'mon guys! Get it straight! :)

It was a wonderful surprise for us and made the early morning and extra effort/energy on my part so very worth it. There is just something about learning and seeing things through your children's eyes and experience that is invigorating. :) I'm sure I will be hearing constant requests to go to a fire station again soon!

Here is a little slide show for you about our morning!

Click to play 5K walk
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a slideshow - it's easy!

2 comments:

Mandy Masters said...

Very cute! It looks like you all had a great time. Did Ethan walk that entire thing? What a little man.
Thanks, for sharing :)

Mandy Masters said...

WOW Ethan! Way to go buddy. You have positively been blessed with the cutest boy's. I agree with you about seeing the world throughs our children's eyes. That is why I love being Makayla's mommy. I have learned more about myself through watching her.