Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Close Call

Well, living here in Arizona we really like swimming pools. My second son, McKay, is especially drawn to water...anywhere, anytime! Well, we went to my friend's swimming pool today and he didn't want to wait for me to put on his arm floaties. So, while I and my friend had our backs to the pool (and I had already asked him to stay out of the pool until I had them on him)he decided he couldn't wait.

He got in without his floaties! :(

I'm not really sure how long he was under the water, but my friend turned around first to discover him just by the edge of the pool, standing on the bottom with his head just under the water - eyes and mouth open!

You think you will always know what to do in such a situation or assume how you would react - jump in and pull him out(or in this case it would have been lifted/thrown him out since he was so close to the side of the pool). Well, we both just were bending over trying to reach down to grab his arms and pull him up and out. We couldn't reach him as quickly and easily as we thought we could. All the time, I just couldn't believe this had happened! The thought to jump in didn't even cross my mind! DUH!!!!!!!!

WHAT WAS I THINKING?

I guess this just goes to show that in such critical situations, your brain kinda shuts off or something.

Well, we finally reached him arms and pulled him out. Thank goodness he wasn't swallowing or trying to breath under the water - he didn't cough much at all - just took a really big breath once he was out. Have you heard of dry drowning? It happens when you have inhaled enough water so that it settles in your lungs and blocks the lungs ability to absorb oxygen. So, since he wasn't coughing, I hoped this wouldn't be a possibility.

I was soooo grateful that he was safe and that we found him in time. Ethan and my friend's daughter Makayla didn't even realize it had happened.

You can bet that we won't ever go near a pool without McKay having his floaties on first again!!!

4 comments:

Becky said...

How frightening! I'm so glad that he's okay.

Chris said...

That is super scary!! My boy did something like that, but luckily someone caught him out of the corner of their eye and jumped in after him. I had gone inside to change into my suit when it happened. My wife thought I was with him in the pool. Scary stuff. I'm glad he's ok.

Jennifer said...

Deanna,

This is Jennifer Forest Glauser. Hey there! I just got your blog link from Chris Cano - we were online chatting about finding people for the reunion. People are gathering on facebook.com. I finally heard from Ingrid Mendoza after 17 years. Come and join us!

I loved reading your blog. We are such kindred spirits still. I had two close drowning calls with my son Brandon. I held my breath reading your story. We are so blessed. So many times, the outcome is so different. I also have two boys (would love to try for the girl - but I don't have enough faith Dave and I can produce a XX baby :)

My favorite movies are Man from Snow River, Shadow Lands. I give Peacegiver to everyone I know and love the Bonds books! I miss you! Send me your number and I'll call you! jenniferglauser@yahoo.com

Will you delete this. I don't want my email advertised on the web! :) Thanks!

Darce said...

SCARY!!!!! I'm thinkin' you like the "dramatic" life; your's is always crazy!! Glad he's okay!