Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Day In the Life of a Caterpillar

About a month ago, during a trip to the library, Ethan said he wanted to get books on caterpillars and butterflies. So, we got several and looked at a few of them. :) Every now and then we come across more pictures of caterpillars and butterflies and the joy of learning continues.

Well, today, a boy that was playing with Ethan and McKay happened to point out a little green curled up caterpillar that was laying inside the scooper of a toy bulldozer on our back patio! Oh, the joy! :) A while back, Jack In the Box was giving little bug jars in their kids meals. Usually, I just toss the toys we get in kids' meals (especially McDonalds'....we don't go there much anymore anyway...hate the food.) Well, I happened to think well enough to keep this one! Perfect opportunity to use it! We scooped it up and put it in the jar with a little leaf.

Here is Ethan with the caterpillar right after we found it.





Ethan just about didn't let it out of his sight all day. He even created this little "home" for the caterpiller and his family and named him after his friend Ethan Webb!

Here is his "house" - he is underneath it all with the leaves. :)



He took it with him in the car while we ran a few quick errands and he wanted to take it with him to bed for his nap! I told him that the little guy needed some air and he might die! So, a little while after Ethan woke up from his nap, he came in to my bedroom where I was feeding Alyssa and he said, "I've decided that my caterpillar needs to turn into a butterfly. I want him to live." So, I told him to take it outside and set him down by the tree.





I have to admit that it was such a thrill for me to watch my son become so enamored with a living thing and care for it like he did! It made me realize that although we don't get through all the books we check out, something still sticks and sinks in!

No comments: