Thursday, January 17, 2008

Being still......

Some people know and others don't, but we currently own five homes in Detroit, MI which we bought in the Fall of 2006 thinking that they would become great investments for us. Well, if you know anything about Detroit, or the nation as a whole for that matter, then you know that the market is horrible there. We couldn't have bought at a worse time.

The past year was full of a lot of stress as a result of many things, but seemingly endless repairs and problems were the norm. We had to sell a great investment in Orem, Utah to help us pay for the repairs in Detroit. Ouch!

We put them all up for sale back in August/September 2007, with no interest at all thus far. We thought we'd try to see if there was any chance of refinancing them to start escrow on taxes and insurance - no we didn't do that to begin with - we were counseled to follow a different strategy - mistake. Unfortunately, we received word today that it's not really possible. We could...for a 3 yr. ARM at 10% and spend thousands in closing costs. NO thanks!

Well, I have a history of being pretty uptight and anxious when it comes to finances. I have often leaned more towards thinking the worst of things rather than hoping for the best - something that I am striving to change. Over the last several months I have finally come to a place in my mind and heart where I realized that stressing and worrying will not change anything, nor accomplish anything but hurt me and my family. I have no control over the market there, or the repairs that occur, etc. All I have control over is my faith and trust in Jesus Christ and a loving Heavenly Father.

"Be still, and know that I am God." More than ever in my life, now is the time for me to cling to this scripture and live with full faith in its truth. Despite all that is happening that is undesirable, I know there is purpose in it - even if it is to teach me how to be still in the face of adversity; to place my trust in an all-knowing and all-powerful God who loves me and who will be there, by my side, through whatever experiences He sees fit to send me. I picture myself lying peacefully still in His loving hands, being carried through whatever comes my way. My heart is calm, my stomach relaxed and not tied in knots from stress. I am completely at peace and feel the loving care of my Heavenly Father.

I do not believe that it is time to "give up" or just drift and see what happens. We will continue to do our part as far as we can. But if things don't turn out the way we hope, I still know that we will make it through and that whatever does happen, it won't be the end of life. We'll bounce back, and be the better for it somehow.

2 comments:

Becky said...

What an excellent expression of your faith through trials. It's amazing to watch that through all the trials with real estate that I've seen you and Shawn experience, that no matter how bleak things seem, the light always shines again--you've been so blessed in the past and I'm sure the answers will continue to come.

Deanna Householder said...

Hey! I just saw your post - so you have seen my blog! :)

Thanks for your reply. :)

Deanna