Monday, January 28, 2008

My farewell to our beloved prophet

Shawn and I were sitting in bed talking about our ward conference talks on faith and circumstances in our own life. It had been a very very long and tiring day. We got a text phone message sent to us by Dean telling us of President Hinckley's passing. I felt sadness at first, but then rejoiced with him as I knew that he was now with his beloved Marjorie and his own family (parents/siblings, etc.) and that he perhaps was also welcomed by all the preceding prophets! What a glorious and wonderful reunion they were having!

But as I think about it still, I can't help but get emotional and have to swallow the knot and blink back the tears. Oh, how I loved our dear prophet! I loved his optimism and his undying perseverance and humor and wit and courage and his endless energy! He truly forgot himself and went to work his whole entire life! What would our lives be like if we all did the same and followed him in just that one example? Truly, it would be a different world. He had such incredible vision and goals - the increase of temples around the world will always stand as a great tribute to his vision. I am so grateful for having had the experience of seeing him in person, although I never did shake his hand. But I didn't ever need to feel his handshake to know in my heart and have a deep testimony that he was God's prophet.

I love his "Nine Be's" and many other key remarks that he gave. I really enjoyed this quote I read from the Meridian Magazine's tribute: “We have every reason to be optimistic in this world,” President Hinckley insisted. “Tragedy is around, yes, Problems everywhere, yes. But look at Nauvoo. Look at what they built here in seven years and then left. But what did they do? Did they lie down and die? No! They went to work! They moved halfway across this continent and turned the soil of a desert and made it blossom as the rose. On that foundation this church has grown into a great worldwide organization affecting for good the lives of people in more than 140 nations. You can’t, you don’t, build out of pessimism or cynicism. You look with optimism, work with faith, and things happen!”

I am so grateful for his example and his enduring love and all he gave to this church. He definitely fought the good fight and won honor and glory of heaven and the respect and reverence of every member of this church.

Farewell, my dear President Hinckley. I love you!

Until we meet again....

Deanna

Following is a photo essay of Pres. Hinckley that I enjoyed from the Meridian Magazine.

http://www.ldsmag.com/photoessay/060331Hinckley.html


Here is a link to his testimony given in General Conference, April 1, 2006 just a few days before his wife Marjorie passed away:

http://meridianmagazine.com/churchupdate/080128presidenthinckleypassesaway2.html

1 comment:

Mallory said...

Um hi...you dont know me, but your family looks very cute:) Shawn knows me from Guild wars. lol! Cool Blog: