Monday, January 28, 2008

Crib casulties - who's responsible?

Well, the picture doesn't show the true nature of the damage, but this is what greeted me in the boys room on Sunday morning. They woke up around 5:30 a.m. (they are usually up by 6:00 a.m.) and I just couldn't pull my pregnant tired body out of the bed yet. So....I turned off the monitor and drifted back to sleep. At 7:00, I woke up, and took a shower (church is at 9:00 and if I don't get one in first thing, it means we are late) and said my prayer and then braced myself for what I might find out in the living room. The usual sight is some yogurt on the floor, all over the couch and various other items strewn about. Well, what did I see? Nothing! The coast was clear and clean! I could hear the boys in their room playing so I just did a few things to enjoy the peace for a bit. Well, I got breakfast ready and went to go get the boys and opened the door to this site (actually this is a bit cleaner than what I saw...lots more diapers around with some dirty clothes on the floor.) My heart sank! The crib was totally busted on the gate side and they were using the slats to bang on the other part of the crib! I lost it....even though I had just prayed to handle whatever my eyes greeted once I walked out the door. I knew that if I was going to be willing to let two young boys - one of them a two-year-old no less, be on their own for an hour and a half and unsupervised, then who would hold the ultimate responsibility for whatever goes on while I'm sleeping? Well...me. But I was certainly not ready to handle this site! I started to cry and left the room and Ethan followed behind saying "I'm sorry! I'm sorry Mommy!" "******SIGH******"

Well, I had to get Shawn's help to face the situation. There were consequences meted out and a lot of serious faces and talking. But I still can't help but feel that I am the ultimate one who is responsible for it all happening. But....I'm doing my best and I just can't get up that early and function for a full day (complete with 3 hours of church, 2 visiting teaching appts., ward choir, home teachers coming and trying to make a crock pot dinner which didn't even end until 8:00!)

Anyway...we hope it is fixed now with a little wood glue. It has to last at least for one more baby at this point!

No comments: